Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My favorite day of the week...



Some people love Fridays, others Saturdays and many would vote for Sundays. I personally adore Tuesdays. I am sure you are thinking to yourself who in their right mind loves Tuesdays?! Well before you try to convince my husband to haul me off to the looney bin, let me explain why I love Tuesdays.

My very favorite thrift store (Catholic Mission) runs .50 sales on Tuesdays. Each week the manager picks 2 or 3 items to put on sale. This week was women's pants, dresses and all children's clothing. She only puts dresses on sale every 6-8 weeks so today was especially sweet (I love dresses they are among my best sellers). I spent $29.94 and this is a partial list of what I bought:

2 - New Without Tags Motherhood Maternity Sweater Dresses

A Pea in the Pod winter dress

An Alex Marie Pinstripe Pants Suit (jacket & pants) freshly dry cleaned and looks brand new - new retail on this one is $225+ my cost $1

2 - New with Tags Motherhood Maternity Dress Pants

2 - New without Tags Motherhood Maternity Jeans

Jones New York Dress

2 vintage 1980's cocktail dresses

2 paper back & 2 hard back Mary Higgins Clark books (I also love to read).

I also ventured over to a local thrift store ran by the mentally ill. They really are a hidden gem. Very few people I talk to even know they are there. They are only open Monday through Friday from 9:30am to 1:30pm. They are in a large uninsulated warehouse like building - it is HOT in the summer & FREEZING in the winter, but I don't mind either way (this is where I found my vintage quilts I talked about in my previous post). A sweet lady named Margie runs the store, but she was not there today. They had a couple of people I have met before seen running it. I always enjoy making small talk with the employees. They have great prices too! Everyday prices: Men's & Ladies shirts .50, Men's & Ladies pants $1 a pair, jackets $1, skirts .25 & children's clothing .25-$1. I found 3 dresses, 4 or 5 shirts, a couple of skirts, a few children's pieces, a vintage early 1950's purse and a like new hard back Dan Brown novel. I put my finds on the counter and the guy working said $5.35. I guess they must of been running a fill a bag sale, but regardless I was tickled.

I spent just over $35 and a conservative estimate on my profit will be in the neighbornood of $400-500 - this is even after I pay my fees to E-bay & shipping cost. A lot of what I buy is for other seasons. Which is not a big deal. I store them in totes in the shed and pull them out when they are back in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment