Thursday, May 5, 2011

My name is Betsy...




and I am a "Thriftaholic". Some people love to go shopping at the mall, some people adore Walmart or Target, some people like to shop online, but I love to shop at thrift stores, yard sales and estate sales. Saying I love to thrift store shop is an understatement! I love the thrill of the hunt, digging through bins, racks, shelves and boxes. I do not mind the occasional odd smells (a cross between old lady perfume and feet), the weird people (hey, I figure I am just as strange) or the occasional screaming child (my son Parker HATES thrift store shopping - he does not scream, but he would rather be poked with hot pokers I do believe. No worries, I rarely subject him to his own personal hell.) I have been known to squeal, giggle and on a rare occasion do a funky dance that is a cross between "The Chicken Dance" and a very scary form of John Travolta's Disco dancing.

I mainly focus on selling clothing and shoes, but I always look through the toys, household items & textiles. One of the best finds ever was when I found 3 handstitched vintage quilts in beautiful condition I paid $3 each for these (all 3 are pictured). They were appraised at a value of between $500-$700 each. They are now proudly displayed in my home. I have clothed my children, my husband and myself and furnished my home via thriftstores and yard sales.

I never thought the day would come I actually made my living doing what I love! There is certainly money to be made on E-bay and other online ventures, but you have to be patient and dilligent. For me this is the best of both worlds. I get to do what I love while being able to be home with those I love!

Happy Thrifting,
Betsy

2 comments:

  1. I think you ought to take some pictures of those quilts to show off your treasures. And I don't think you are strange at all!! Or rather one person's strange is another's unique, fund and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie! :) I figured out how to put pictures on here - Yippee Skippee Diddlee Doo I am usually technologically challenged so this deserves a giant "WOOHOO!"

    ReplyDelete